Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Notebook Overheating

Hi

I have come across a lot of posts/forums where people face overheating problem with their notebooks. I my self faced overheating problem and solved it .. Hence i decided to write a post myself.

You can use some software like speedfan to measure your system's temperature, speedfan is freely available, just google it.

Symptoms of overheating
**************************
  1. Notebook goes to Hybernate or shutdown.
  2. Fan Running vary fast and hence makes a lot of noise.
  3. Hot bottom/base or Hot keyboard.
Cause of overheating
********************
  1. Most common cause for older notebooks is clogged air exhaust system.
  2. Blocked air inlets/outlets by using notebook on soft surface.
  3. Failure/Low speed of Fan.
  4. Virus.
  5. Constantly running system under heavy load condition.
  6. Bios/Software update.
  7. Downgrade of operating system.
  8. Faulty parts inside system.
Solution for overheating
************************
  1. Clean your system with a can of compressed air, if your system is older than 4 months.
  2. Do not use notebook on a soft surface like bed...it might block air inlets/vents.
  3. Update antivirus and scan system for any viruses.
  4. Update Bios to the latest version, only if 1,2 or 3 doesnot work.
  5. Avoid unnecessarily using system on high performance.
If you have any specific question then feel free to post it. I'll try my best to answer your query.

3 comments:

  1. my laptop is compaq pressario v3000 mikdel with NVIDIA GE enforce.. it gets shutdown when temperature rises up to 130.c i cant able to reduce the temperature even after using external fan...... it gets heated up while playing game... usually and shuts down after 30 mins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a dual-boot system - OSX 10.6 and win7 ultimate. The machine only runs suspiciously hot when idling in win7. Once I've been using it (for non-performance-demanding things like browsing, word processing etc.) for a short while it cools down and the fans slow. My CPU usually runs at around 40-45 during moderate use but at around 65-70+ when idling. This seems odd. I have no issue when running OSX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very pervasive issue with this model and it's not just dust/dirt it is the laptop. I have mine on a stand with a fan and have done everything to remedy this. It just runs way too hot. I will have to replace. HP has done nothing to remedy this issue and other brands run a thousand times cooler as I have used them. I would never have bought this had I known. Never again. Very bad customer service.

    ReplyDelete